Why "MACH 33?"
"Escape velocity" is the speed needed to "break free" from the gravitational attraction of a massive body. On the surface of Earth, escape velocity is about 11.2 kilometers per second, or approximately 33 times the speed of sound: MACH 33. Our name celebrates the innovative, dynamic breakthroughs that scientists and artists achieve.
Through our performances and post-show discussions, MACH 33 strives to:
- Challenge and broaden the view of science, mathematics, and technology in the popular imagination
- Make science feel more alive, exciting, and tangible
- Deepen our emotional responses to science and scientific inquiries
- Activate new ways of imagining the science all around us
- Strengthen personal connections to the scientists, engineers, and mathematicians who shape our world
Other science-based theater programs: